Reading homework which is due on the week beginning 24th May is to read chapters 46 - 50 then answer the following questions:
- “He’s been suffering from hallucinations and delirium” (page 215). What was the warden claiming was wrong with Stanley?
- On page 216, what word could the warden not say? And what couldn’t she understand?
- On page 224, What does Sam say the lizards don’t like?
- What was Camp Green Lake going to be turned into, now that Ms. Walker had sold the land?
- What was Stanley’s father’s invention named after?
- Write a short 5 sentence precis of the story of Holes. What were the important parts and characters.
Reading homework which is due on the week beginning 17th May is to read chapters 43 – 46 then answer the following questions:
- What did Stanley and Zero plan to do to make sure that they arrived at Camp Green Lake before dark?
- In chapter 43, what was the challenge between Stanley and Zero?
- On page 193, why does Stanley say to Zero: “I am a camel”?
- On page 193, why does the author choose to describe Stanley and Zero’s mouths as ‘stubborn’?
- On page 201, why do you think Stanley’s voice is “filled more with astonishment than with excitement” after discovering what he believes to be a treasure chest in the ground?
- Define: precarious (page 202)
- ‘“It won’t be long now,” the Warden said.’ (pg. 206) what is the Warden waiting for?
- Why do you think the lizards have not hurt Stanley or Zero?
Reading homework which is due on the week beginning 10th May is to read chapters 37 – 42 then answer the following questions:
- In chapter 39, what does Zero confess to doing?
- Why did people snicker when Hattie Parker told Gladys Tennyson that she was looking lovely this morning?
- Why did Hattie’s face go red when Gladys Tennyson said that her daughter was sick because she had eaten some bad meat?
- Define: contritely
- In chapter 41, Zero describes how he used to steal the things that he needed. Do you think it was wrong of him to steal? Explain your opinion.
- Why do you think that Stanley asks Zero if he wants to dig one more hole at the end of chapter 42?
Reading homework which is due in on the week beginning 3rd May is to read pages 152 - 168 then answer the following questions:
- Find an example of personification on page 152.
- Define: Mirage.
- Why do you think ‘Barf Bag’ stepped on a rattlesnake on purpose?
- Why did Stanley keep taking a ‘mental snapshot’ of the Big Thumb?
- Why was Stanley scared when he realised he was almost at the Big Thumb?